I’ve been getting this error message on my iPhone 6 Plus and it was very frustrating until I finally figured out how to fix it.
“Cellular Update Failed. Your iPhone cannot make and receive calls or access cellular data until it has been updated”
When this error message first appeared on my iPhone 6 Plus, I took it to my carrier, Verizon and then to an Apple store. Both told me that I needed to update my software. Verizon said I need to update to the latest IOS version and Apple said, Verizon needs to update their cellular software. When I went back to Apple the second time, they offered to look at it for $350 and there’s no guarantee that they will be able to fix it. F@%& that! Needless to say, I was very frustrated. So I turned to the internet for help.
Here are some of the solutions that I found:
- Turn your phone and off. See if that works. (This worked a few times for me)
- Take your sim card in and out and restart your phone. ( This worked a few times too)
- Turn on and off the “Airplane Mode”. (They said sometimes it works. Not on my iPhone.)
- Reset the network settings of your iPhone (This worked a few times too)
Bu what I found out is, taking your sim card out and then putting it back in again works best but you need to pay attention to one little detail. Below is the walkthrough.
- Turn off your iPhone.
- Take out the sim card
- turn it back on again. Your iPhone will give you a “no SIM” error. That’s what you’re looking for.
- Put your sim card back in the sim slot and you should now have a signal from your carrier. NOTE** If after you take your sim card out and turned your phone back on that you get a different error message, other than “No SIM”, then you need to turn your phone off and on again until it gives you a “No SIM” error. Other error messages such as “No Service” will not work with this fix. It needs to say “No SIM” where your signal bars usually appear.
This is not a permanent fix but it will help you be able to make calls with your phone again. Simply repeat the instructions above every time your phone gives you this error.
I hope this helps! Good luck!